Vinegar is quickly becoming my go to household “do it all” chemical. Heck, I hate to say chemical because the stuff is practically non-toxic. I say practically because I am sure that you can overdose on vinegar. Heck, you can overdose on water. No matter how pure the water may be.
The other day I used some onions that had been chopped and sitting the refrigerator for a while. How long? I do not know, but everything seemed fine when I used them in a mushroom risotto.
That was true until a few days later when the cupboard where I store my glass cooking vessels like 9 by 13 pans smelled like fresh death. It was, literally, like opening the door on a room where a mouse had died. It took a while, but I traced the source to a lid used on the same bowl to store the onions. Wow, did it smell something fierce. Worse than the freakin’ Stinkor action figure I owned as a kid.
What’s the solution? Soak the sucker in some vinegar. A wash in the sanitary cycle of the dishwasher did nothing. Twenty four hours in a bowl of three parts water to one part vinegar took care of most of the smell. I am hoping that leaving it out in the air for the next ten days while I am in Florida will take care of the rest.