When you are building things from plans on the internet sometimes you have to deviate and other times you have to improvise. While building my version of the rustic x end table from Ana White I had a little conundrum with the securing of the decorative x on each side of the two tables.
These are not load bearing in any way, so the pieces are completely decorative but merely gluing and securing with a few pneumatically driven brads seemed a little light in terms of construction. The pieces were to be glued using end grain which is notorious from being a poor holder of joints. Ugh, first world problems.
I decided to secure each end of the x with a screw driven from the top or bottom leaving only two ends in the middle to be secured in another fashion. One of the x pieces was also secured with a screw driven through the full length x piece. The screw head would be hidden by the final x piece that was going to be glued into place.
The final problem that remained was how to glue the angled piece and clamp it securely. I cut the end a hair long so that it would have to be nudged into place with a little assistance and clamped everything down using a pair of scrap wood pieces with angles cut corresponding to the x pieces:
It’s not perfect and it is not pretty, but it carried the day.